TriWest Insurance Coverage for Rehab and Detox

TriWest offers healthcare for veterans, including drug and alcohol detox and rehab. Learn how to use your TriWest plan for rehab here.

Questions about treatment?
  • Access to licensed treatment centers
  • Information on treatment plans
  • Financial assistance options
We're available 24/7
Call American Addictions centers help information

Does TriWest Cover Drug Rehab Treatment?

TriWest covers substance use treatment services for approved veterans. TriWest works with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to offer healthcare through the VA Community Care Network (CCN).1 Depending on your needs, some of the treatment programs TriWest may cover include:2

  • Medical detox, which is often the first step in treating substance use disorders (SUDs).
  • Inpatient treatment, where you live at a treatment center during treatment.
  • Outpatient treatment, which may include partial hospitalization (PHP) or intensive outpatient (IOP) programs. During outpatient treatment, you go to regular appointments for treatment and go home at night.
  • Behavioral therapy, which may include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), family therapy, and motivational interviewing.

How to Check My TriWest Benefits for Rehab

Veterans can check their TriWest addition treatment coverage in a few easy ways:

  • Online, go to the TriWest secure self-service portal and log in. If you don’t have a username and password, the portal link will take you through this process.
  • Call TriWest customer service.
  • Call your chosen treatment center and ask what your insurance covers.

How to Use Your TriWest to Pay for Rehab

After you enroll in a TriWest CCN, most treatments will follow these steps:5,6

  • Use the VA Facility Locator to find a treatment center.
  • Get VA approval (this is called “prior authorization”) before getting care. You may also need a referral from the VA.
  • Talk to the treatment center to confirm in-network status and any out-of-pocket expenses (cost) you might have to pay.
  • Confirm the VA has authorized you to get care at your chosen treatment center.
  • Schedule an appointment with the treatment center.

Finding Rehab Centers that Accept TriWest Insurance

TriWest’s network of 700,000 healthcare professionals meet the VA’s quality healthcare standards.1 This network includes American Addiction Centers (AAC). You can call TriWest customer service to find an in-network treatment center. If your first choice isn’t in-network, don’t give up hope. There are many options to help find and pay for treatment. Talk to your doctor or a VA staff member to find help, no matter where you live or what type of insurance you have.

Are there Special Veterans Rehab Facilities?

There are special veteran treatment centers across the country. But not every area has a VA center. In these cases, VA-approved CCN providers can offer care for veterans in non-veteran facilities.5 The key is to get approval from the VA before going to treatment.

TriWest understands the importance of getting veterans connected to services as soon as possible. They will help you find a treatment program with one of TriWest’s approved providers. AACs’ Desert Hope Treatment Center in Nevada is one such treatment center. Desert Hope serves veterans through its Salute to Recovery program.

TriWest also covers virtual care, or telehealth, visits. Telehealth increases veterans’ access to care, decreases delays, and improves outcomes while reducing costs.8 In addition, many treatment centers offer virtual visits to better serve patients who live in remote areas.

Types of TriWest Insurance Plans

TriWest offers healthcare through their CCN network for certain veterans. In most cases, you need to get VA approval before you get treatment, even if it’s in-network. To find out if you qualify for community care, talk to a VA staff member.